31 August 2018

Henry's Fork - part 2

It was almost 3 PM when I was done with lunch. I decided to wait for the evening hatch and headed to the Harriman State Park (also known as the Railroad Ranch) and have a look at the historic site.

The history behind this summer retreat (starting as early as in 1902), working ranch and wild life sanctuary preserved by the Harriman family till gifted to the state of Idaho in 1977 is very interesting. The gift was done under the condition that the park stays open for public and future generations to come as a natural area and wild life refuge. It must have been amazing back then to spend the summers here, inviting fiends to enjoy and fish the, now famous, part of the Railroad Ranch stretch of the Henry's Fork (named after the fur trapper Andrew Henry who passed through this area in 1810).





The famous view at the Millionaire's Pool



The dozen or so cabins of the Harriman heritage are still here



The interiors are still left as they were used by the Harriman family and their guests


Maintenance on the buildings




The house the Harriman family themselves




This cute little squirrel came running towards me






While walking through the Railroad Ranch, I remembered I had an appointment with Nelson Ishiyama, the owner of the Henry's Fork Lodge, and a bamboo fly rod enthusiast around 5:30 PM at his lodge. We had a nice talk together at the porch of his lodge and talked about bamboo fly rods, the fishing on the Henry's Fork and fly fishing in general. I can't believe I didn't get a picture of us together!...


View of the Henry's Fork from the porch




























I said goodbye to Nelson around 6:30 PM and headed back the my lodge to get my fishing gear. I headed to the Last Chance stretch. The heat of the afternoon was almost gone and it started to cool down.

Around 7 PM. Waiting for the evening activity...
There are caddis flying around but not much on the water...
Around 8 PM, still haven't seen much...
I packed my gear around 9:30 PM. No activity at all!































































































Well, the first day at the Henry's Fork was quite an interesting day. I will get up early to capture some drone footages of the sunrise at the Osborne bridge stretch before heading to the stretch at Wood Road 16. This stretch was recommended by a friend who is recovering from illness. Get well Eric!

Go to part 3 of the Henry's Fork!



No comments: