As we walked into the bush, I saw this small stream that reminds me of many streams in Southern Germany and Austria. The bottom was covered with bowling ball sized rocks, covered with alge. I was hoping that the cleats under my rubber soled wading boots would help me from slipping but that wasn't the case. Within half an hour I slipped and had water in my hippers. Being so early, it felt a bit chilly. Well, it should warm up any soon. By the way, Mark is a the president of the wet wading club.
Mark was catching his first fish as I was struggling with my slippery boots (feeling insecure about a firm grip on the stream sucks!) as well as being on the wrong side of the stream I wasn't really able to concentrate on my fishing. I soon crossed the stream and the first fish on my nymph was a fact.
Besides rainbows and brown trout this stream has a very healthy population of mountain whitefish. Surely a sign of clean water. The strikes of these whitefish are lightning fast (boy did I miss a few!) and they fight like fish at least twice their size. I love them!
Every now and then Mark dipped his thermometer in the water and the temps went from around low 40F to almost around 50F. So, we changed the nymphs for dries. I tied a Humpy and we were catching fish on the surface the rest of the day.
Mark with his specialty: high sticking a dry
Mark's Bill Blackburn and my Scott
These two sure know how to pose
A tiny spring along the banks
Thanks for an amazing day Mark!
Tomorrow: on my way to the Henry's Fork
My 2018 USA trip:
No comments:
Post a Comment