15 December 2006

The art of wood carving

Ed Felker of the Flyfishin' blog really liked the brook trout I caught in Austria last month that he made it picture of the week on his site. Besides running a nice blog, Ed is a very talented wood carver too. Check out the carving Ed made of the picture. WOW! I think it's amazing how Ed captured just the essential contours of the picture.

Although I try to take pictures that follows some sort of 'picture taking rules' I see in fly fishing magazines and books, I never thought that one of my pictures would end up as art! It sounds weird but I'm kinda proud now. Thanks Ed!

I'm not sure how much a print made from one of Ed's wood carvings cost. I'm sure he will make a marvelous wood carving of your favorite picture (assuming that the picture is 'carvable') for you. Get in touch with Ed to get the answer and price. I'm waiting to see how a print made of the block turns out.


Update 20 dec 2006
Ed just made the first print of the wooden plate he carved out. These prints cost $50 and $65 if matted. Check out Ed's blog to read more about his prints.

Update 17 jan 2007
The print arrived today! I'll get it framed soon. Should look nice on the wall in the attic of our new house. Thanks Ed!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks Jay! The next step is to ink this block and make prints out of it. But, truthfully, the carving is by far the most fun part (other than the fish catching part, which I wasn't lucky enough to have participated in with this fish).

I'll post some more info and a picture of how the print looks when it's done this weekend. Thanks again!

Jay said...

Sounds exciting!
Sure curious how the final print will look like.

Anonymous said...

I have all the ingredients I need for printmaking: a weekend. ink. roller. paper. beer. repeat.

Anonymous said...

That is brilliant!

Jay said...

I'm pretty excited too!