27 December 2006

We need creative & inspiring moviemakers!

As much as I enjoy watching these destination videos with amazing scenery and gin clear rivers, I always wonder why these videos all look the same? Why can't anyone come up with a new interesting format to cover this item? Is it the limitation of the subject, film equipment or the lack of creativity of the makers?

I've seen documentaries on BBC, Discovery Channel etc. how they follow the flight of an albatross (or was it a bee?) REALLY close. It's like flying on the back of a fellow bird/insect. They can even capture the natural habitat of a termite in its dungeons deep under the ground. So it's not the lack of technique that's limiting us from making innovative movies.

Why are fly fishing videos still using stone age scripts and techniques? For example, I don't like the parts where they play the fish. One or two takes of a big fish showing off while hooked is okay. I don't need to see more of them, especially when the fish are small. The presentation of the fly, close view drift of the fly to the fish and the take (both above and under the water!) are much more interesting. What about following a fish in its natural habitat, watching the fisherman from the fishes view and how it gets fooled by the fly? How about satellite overview of the river or stretch and zooming in on a certain spot or stretch. A view of the fisherman from a birds eye view?

The publishers / moviemakers of fly fishing videos need to take the next step in innovation.
Anyone in the business care to join the discussion?

2 comments:

opax said...

Based on my experience of Finnish fly fishing videos, I'd say that we need professional moviemakers. Well, ok - some are better than others.

Jay said...

If anyone sells videos for money it should be at least contain a minimum of quality in it. I've never made a video myself so I can't tell but I think you can make a decent video with not too expensive ('pro-sumer') equipment.

The next point being with creativity you can come a long way still.