30 October 2025

Mill House Podcast - Documenting the great saltwater fly fishermen

Andy Mill and his son Nicky have a podcast that's probably not for everyone. It's solely focused on saltwater fly fishing. They collect great talks with (aging) legends, guides and innovators in the game. 

What they are doing is partly similar to why I started my Q&A's. Document the stories told by the people themselves and get to know a little more of them before it's too late. Some guests have already passed away, like Flip Pallot and Bob Popovics. I've never entered the saltwater arena myself, but these podcasts is doing a great job to preserve and document the stories we would otherwise never would have heard.

Yesterday I was listening (you can also watch on Youtube) to their recent Q&A episode and one of the questions was about the saltwater rods they like to use. Their answer was surprising (and refreshing)!

So myself fishing only for trout, I never understood why people bought trout rods based on how far the rod casts at the parking lot rather than feeling if the rod responds well on short distances. Distances from 15 (sometimes even closer) to 25 feet of fly line (don't forget to add the length of the rod and the leader!) is what the majority of trout fishing is done. Now, Andy explains that it's similar with saltwater fishing, albeit the distances are a bit longer but rarely the distances most people think it is.


No comments: