12 June 2023

A 90 year old fly shop

Two weeks ago I was in Tokyo for a few days. I got together with a few of my Japanese friends. I also visited Tsuruya, a 90 year old (since 1931!) fly shop in Tokyo.

What a wonderful shop. My guess is if there was to be a fly shop with appreciation for (vintage) bamboo rods, fiberglass rods and vintage reels it could only exist in Japan. The owner, Mr. Yamashiro, spoke English making the visit even more pleasurable!


































Lots of nice (vintage) bamboo rods!
Payne, Edwards, Summers, Gillum, Young, Howells, Leonards, Dickerson, T&T, Winston, Wojnicki... 



























Some nice vintage reels as well


























Contemporary Japanese bamboo rods


























Two wonderful (four piece!) rods by Kakuhiro rods (top: 7ft 4/2 #3, bottom: 7.3ft 4/2 #4).
I really was impressed with the 7ft #3!

























From the book 'Mostly Bamboo'
































Love those tiny Japanese nets for specially made for fishing native Yamame
























More vintage reels



























Fiberglass rods finished by the shop
















































I even was asked to tie a fly
























Thank you Yamashiro San!

























Update Oct 25, 2024:
Here is a very nice video about Kakuhiro Nonaka:

2 comments:

Mike Adair said...

I could spend a whole day in that fly shop! Those small landing nets aren't being made here in my country anymore...for small stream guys like me. Thanks for the shop tour...

Jay said...

I almost did!
Yes those small nets are really neat

Thanks for your comment Mike!