I don't know how and why but Kelly Galloup, more known for tying and fishing streamers, is now one of the largest sellers of (Whiting) hackle. The past 15 years or so the offering, in colors and shades, of Whiting has gone through the roof. And the sales are huge too. Oddly we don't see as much flies (both in the bins of fly shops as well as on social media) using hackle as much as one might expect with so many capes and saddles flying out the stores.
If hackles get used, it seems to mostly end up on parachute dry flies. And the funny thing is, parachute hackle doesn't need this insane quality hackle we got today. In fact all it needs is two to three wraps to get the fly to float and give an impression of legs of the insect (they don't have zillion of them like barbules on hackles 😂).
Kelly recently started a very nice series of videos on explaining the various aspects of hackle. I think it's the best I've seen so far.
No comments:
Post a Comment