28 March 2013

Women in fly fishing

I rarely run into women when I'm out fishing. I do know a few wives of fly fishermen also fish with a fly rod, but generally fly fishing is a male dominated hobby.

April Vokey is one of the very few female fly fishing professionals. April runs a business which includes casting classes and guiding.

Here's a very nice video of April giving a casting demo at a fly show in Germany earlier this year. I think it's also a bit embarrassing to see how passive the public reacts to April's attempt to get them involved with her demonstration... People are probably baffled seeing this nice looking lady casting miles better than they do! :)

Go April!






Update July 2024:
Here's a podcast that gives a good overview of April's career.


Update Nov 2023:
I did a humpy tying demonstration for April Vokey's Anchored Outdoors.
 

Update 26 August 2013:
A message from the Fly Gal herself: "Thanks Jay, I appreciate the kind words.  :)"

2 comments:

cofisher said...

I hadn't seen this video. Thanks! April is amazing. Too bad a lot of guys can't get over the fact that women can fish successfully.

Jay said...

She looks like fun fun gal to hang out with!