25 March 2012

Looking for a new camera

Since my good 'ole Fujifilm Finepix E550 died during my last trip, I have been looking around for a replacement. Compact cameras are easy to carry around but I want to do more creative video filming in the future.

The video capabilities of compact cameras are impressive these days, but there's a limitation. The current DSLRs are almost professional video camera's. But I hate the bulkiness and the weight of a DSLR.

How about the new generation of mirrorless and interchangeable cameras like the Sony NEX-5N or the Panasonic GH2? They are a lot smaller than the DLSR's and have interchangeable lenses for flexibility.  I'm really impressed by these new generation cameras.

Besides taking very good pictures some of them are also capable of shooting 1080p 60fps movies. The pixelation of moving streams of the movies I shot using my Creative Vado is because of the compression it uses as well as the low frame rate of 30fps.

Still need to read more reviews, comments and watch videos captured by the Sony NEX-5N. But man, it sure is a step ahead of what I have seen so far using pocket videocams...

Here's an amazing footage just to see what this Sony camera is capable of:




Update 30 Aug 2012:
Sony is releasing the successor of the NEX-5N, the NEX-5R.
Nice new features like more manual control, adding apps to gain new features (wow!) and wifi.

Check out this video to see all the new features.

No comments: