26 August 2006

Silk lines

After reading many ravings about fishing a bamboo fly rod with a silk line, I decided to get one. These days silk lines are rarely if ever used on modern graphite rods. Surprisingly there are still a few manufacturers of silk lines. The best known is Phoenix, followed by Thebault. Terenzio is another Italian manufacturer of silk lines. Terenzio also makes artificial 'silk' lines which means they need a lot less maintenance. Very interesting. There are also a few Japanese manufacturers, Yano being the best known.

I always thought silk fly lines were for the sentimental old fools who refuse to admit it's the space age rather than the Victorian period. One of the most interesting thing about fishing with silk lines is that since the silk is heavier than PVC, the silk lines are much thinner than PVC lines. So, silk lines cuts into the wind like a warm knife through butter. Quite an eye opener... Here's a nice article on how silk lines does has its advantages over modern PVC lines. Silk lines are more expensive than PVC lines. In fact I had to scratch my head before taking the plunge, but if taken well care of silk lines will last for lifetime. More info on silk lines can be found here.

I bought the Phoenix line because I heard it is fishable right out of the box, while other lines needed to be 'broken in' (the stiffness of the woven structure will soften over use). I think they mean that the line is very stiff and needed to be softened using the red Mucilin and cast some time before heading for the trouts. By the way, I needed a #4 line but bought a DT5 as people who fished with a DT4 from Phoenix said that it felt like a #3.5 rather than a #4. I haven't fished my Phoenix line yet. I'll keep it in the box until my Jennings rod arrives.


The myth of the DT line
The myth that one might cast more delicately with a DT line than with a WF line is just rubbish. The Double Taper is an heritage from the silk line as one can turn over the line to fish the fresh part when the front part is water logged and won't float anymore (usually after 3-4 hours). This way you can fish all day long. Both modern DT and WF lines (we are talking about models available in both DT and WF) have the same taper in the first 9 meters/30 feet. So, people telling you that a DT fishes more delicately better need to check their casting capabilities...

Maintenance of silk lines
Silk lines are always intermediate lines, meaning they will slowly sink when untreated. After treating the line with Mucilin it will float. The maintenance that comes with silk lines seems to be much exaggerated by most. I think it's a bit more work than a PVC line, but since I also clean & treat them with line dressing every evening after fishing I guess that's not much more work. Most important thing to do when fishing silk lines is that you need to DRY them completely in large loose coils after fishing. If not taken care of, silk lines can get tacky (sticky). Storing the line in the winter you'll need to keep it DRY and COOL and wrapped around in large coils. Using some of those moist wicking bags often found in medicine bottles is probably a good idea.


Update 2018:
Red Mucilin has been traditionally the recommended line treatment for silk lines. Recently a new line dressing called the Otter Butter was introduced by an online shop in the USA. Many fishermen prefer Otter Butter over Mucilin these days as the finish on the line feels less tacky and keeps the silk line float longer.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

It still takes some time before your Jennings will arrive? It is understandable as it fully hand-made. My graphite rod broke at June and I still haven't got it back...

Have you tried any syntethic silk lines? I read a review of Cortland 444 Classic Sylk Fly Line DT and it seems like an interesting choice even if I don't fish cane.

Jay said...

Most major rod companies should be able to get a replacement tip(?) pretty soon. Most of the time is manily transportation. 'Cheaper' rod companies like TFO will probably just send you a whole new rod since that is much cheaper than 'looking around for the right tip section'. Which rod did you(?) break?

Well, about my bamboo rod. I'm still not sure whether to keep the order for the Jennings up or go for a 3 piece Moran bamboo instead. Both are extremly talented builders. Moran is a bit more expensive. I just sold my 2 piece Moran and kept my Orvis bamboo. They were just too close to each other in terms of line weight, length, transportability (both 2 piece). The Orvis has more sentimental value to me. I got a good offer to sell the Moran so I did it. A weird sight to see my Moran been stashed away at the post office though...

No, never tried Sylk. Read a LOT about them. Most were bad reviews (sinking, stickiness), but not ALL. So, still don't know what to think of Sylk.

Anonymous said...

According to that review it floats well and has thin diameter so it also rolls well. But its not silk.

My rod is Scott. For some reason it seems to take any time from two weeks to six months to send replacement parts to Finland.

Jay said...

The thin diameter is indeed like real Silk: it cuts through the wind ike no plastic (PVC) line does. About floating well, that's what many said that it doesn't do so well after a while.

Have you contacted Scott about this? 6 months is crazy!

Anonymous said...

I have been discussing with local importer company. I send one email directly to Scott but got no reply. Mayby I should do it again (daily perhaps)...

It's 4 piece rod and I broke the second piece (from but). But we send the tip for repair as well as it was badly damaged (splitshot or hook has scratched it).

Jay said...

Usually it's faster/better(?) to send it to the rod company directly. For a shop/importer such actions costs him extra money & time. Unless you have one who is really helpful.
Yes, mail Scott again, call them even one time. Let them know Opax is waiting for his rod so he can fish again!

Which series? I'm looking at the G2. Probably a 905-G2.

Anonymous said...

I have standard A2 905. I love it.

Anonymous said...

This is a really good post. I'm trying to sell my editor on a story that would let me compare silk lines. I've heard of Phoenix and Thebault (and like you I'd heard of trouble with the Thebaults, specifically with the consistency of the weaves), but the Italian company is new to me. Thank you.

Do you happen to know of any photos of the machines that weave these lines? I vaguely recall hearing something about a line weaving machine from the late 19th century still being in use by one of these companies. Thanks,

Jay said...

Thanks Zach!

No, I've never seen the machines they use to weave silk lines. I'd say contact Jean at Phoenix lines and he might send you some pics of the machine they use to make their silk lines.

Unknown said...

Terenzio's been making silk lines for at least 15 years, probably longer. They're very nice lines too.
The Phoenix lines look nicer out of the box but when it's time to fish them they seem pretty similar to me.

The article missed a couple of points about silk vs plastic.

Silk is a LOT thinner than a plastic line for the same weight so it'll cut wind much better. Also tends to make less disturbance when it's lifted off the water.
If you fish in windy places you'd notice a hell of a lot of difference between the two.

Also, because it's thinner you're in effect fishing a couple of line weights down from the point of view of what's landing on the water, ie a silk DT7 is thinner than a plastic DT5. A DT4 is plain THIN. You'll make the same disturbance if you mess up the cast but provided you land it well the line being thinner makes a difference.

You'll get about 4hrs of good floation on a typical dry fly babbling brook type stream. After that the tip will tend to sink. Stringing it out during lunch will help, otherwise you can end for end it as the article says.

tony