22 August 2006

Sage's new Z-Axis (or what ever...)

Sage is replacing their XP rod series with a new series called Z-Axis. Since Orvis called their newest rods the Zero Gravity (replaced by Helios, dec 2009), the letter 'Z' seems to be the buzz-word. 

 Back to the Z-Axis. Talk about an UGLY color! It looks like an algae green and if the other recent rod series like the Fli and TXL are an example how Sage want their blanks to look like, it will also be an algae 'solid' green! Man, those guys at Sage need to re-hire the make-up artist they fired after the SP series! Those days the rods looked handsome: translucent racing green blanks with nice cosmetics like the swelled butt.

The new rod sounds like a new rocket the Nasa will launch next week to a near by galaxy: Generation 5 Technology, Utilize Aligned Fiber Technology, Proprietary Resin and Modulus Positioning System? One needs an engineering degree to understand what this means. I hope it's not another even faster rod like the Sage TCR. Winston (BIIx series) and Scott (G2 series) seems to make a small U-turn with their newest rod series incorporating slightly softer actioned rods. The ever faster rods of the last couple of years have turned casting into an olympic sport. Sure they cast a zillion miles, but are these rods fun to play a nice fish too?

Hmm... all's well, we'll report after casting a few of these new rods the coming months.


Update 20 dec 2021
After more than 15 years the Z-Axis 490 came home. My Romanian friend & rod builder George Minculete got one returned unused. I always thought it was one of the nicest Sage build by George. He shortened the grip to my preference length (6 inch), new rod bag and tube. A very brief cast with the rod and it feels a bit faster than I had in my memories. The Z-Axis was positioned by Sage as a fast action rod after all. It's probably a killer rod for fishing with a slightly heavier #4 line like the SA MPX.


Update 11 nov 2006
I held the Z-Axis 490 today in my hands. The color was much darker green than the picture here. Pretty much like the dark green of the XP, maybe a tad lighter. From the 'wiggle test' I didn't feel much difference from the XP series. The tip looked a bit more flexible. I could have taken the rod outside for a cast, but I didn't because I wanted to cast more sizes rather than the only 490 Z-Axis. 


Update 6 jan 2007
I've cast the 490 Z-Axis today. What can I say? This rod casts as smooth as a rod can be, both close and far. The rod doesn't feel stiff like the XP at all. Incredibly light and I just loved how the rod managed to lay out the line without a hick up. It's only a 4 weight, so LOOONG casts aren't really the trademark of these delicate rods, but I had no problem casting tight loops up to around 55 foot. Beyond that the rod started to collapse a bit.

The cosmetics I'm still not impressed. In fact I think it looks very dull. The color of the blank looks cheap, the printing of the word 'Z-Axis' is in my view too big making it look cheap and the hardware used are just basic (Struble?). I think Sage should have dressed up their top rod series.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Me thinks that is not so bad colour... Not too elegant thou. :)

Jay said...

You gotta be kidding! What's next? Shocking pink?

Jay said...

We call it here 'erwtensoep groen'! :)

Anonymous said...

Temple Fork Outfitters have almost pink rods: "CFR rods are built on translucent purple blanks with pink lettering inscribed with the words "Supporting Casting For Recovery & Hope" and will include a distinctive pink rod sock."
But then again, they are not Sage.

// opax (I have some trouble in login - so I use Anonymous).

PS. I didn't quite get this 'erwtensoep groen' thing ;-)

Jay said...

Loop has a rod series that is yellow. It was meant to be a 'teaching' rod so students can see how the teacher is moving the rod. It is said that this Yellow Line rod is an excellent casting rod, but I think I'll wait untill it turns blue or grey...

Hey Opax, I knew it was you!

'Erwtensoep' is a typical Dutch soup made of green peas together with big pieces of sausage and some vegetables. Very good eating during the cold winter! Come here and I'll give you a treat! :)

Anonymous said...

That sounds like a good soup, unlike some local traditional soups here with lots of internal organs swimming in grey water.

I have only once cast with Loop Yellowline. It was nice little #2 and I liked it but I do not have enough experience of rods that light to make any real judgment.

// opax

Anonymous said...

Hey Jay -

I like your blog. The Z-Axis is translucent; those pictures don't do it justice. It's very similar in appearance to the XP. It does not have the matte paint of the Fli series, for instance.

It also casts well. I'm a Scott G2 fan -- in a big way -- myself, but the Z-Axis was easily one of the two or three best new rods at the Fly Tackle Retailer Show. You're correct that it will sling tons of line, like out the back of a 100' pool with a five weight, but I was impressed with the rod's ability to fish close too without radically altering your stroke down to the speed of a left turn blinker.

Whatever Sage's MPS stuff really is (my friends and I jokingly call it Madeup Promotional Shit technology), it does work. The Xi2 is a great rod and so is the new Z-Axis. And here I'm not even a Sage fan.

PS Despite my praise, I own no Sage rods and intend to buy none. Call me counter-cultural.

Jay said...

Ah ok, so it's not the matte finish like their recent series, rather than the nice translucent sheen of the previous series like the LL, SP etc.

I haven't seen nor cast the Z-axis my verdict is still out there. I have cast several G2's and I like it. Not too soft nor too stiff.