As I wrote in my posting 'The Weisse Traun in June' I started appreciating nice bamboo fly rods several years ago.I haven't seen and cast many bamboo rods so far (I guess about 10-12 rods: I remember a couple of Orvis'es, Winstons, several T&T's, Tom Morans, RK Bolt, Zumbrunn, Brunner, Bjarne Fries and Granger), so I'm no expert but there seem to be an understated elegance of these rods. Much more than factory built graphite rods, with bamboo rods little details are used to give the rod that personal touch.
I've seen special wrapping details (like the single wraps on Tom Moran's rods), nice ferrules (wrapped ferrules on Winstons) or swelled butts on the T&T (also Tom Moran makes a delightful swelled butt). These details should not be overdone by the way.
Most bamboo rods aren't casting canons nor as light as graphite rods. But they aren't slow (unless made that way) or heavy as many think. In fact some rods (like Brunner) are so fast that I don't think they would make good fishing rods. I've cast some excellent casting bamboo rods. You won't see distance records with bamboo rods, but they have a way to handle a wide range of casting situations. Especially the ability to cast with just a couple of feet of line yet still able to deliver a 15 meter (50 feet) cast is amazing.
The possibility of altering or tuning the taper when building the rod makes bamboo an extremely versatile material. Much more than the way graphite rods are made, the maker can adjust the action of the bamboo rod. And of course, the journey the rod has made from bamboo pole growing in the Guangdong province of China to the workbench of a (master) builder who spent dozens of hours shaping the split bundles of cane to a fine rod is just inspiring.
Don't get me wrong. I really like my graphite rods and I will keep fishing them. Like the buttery smooth casting Orvis Trout, the first production graphite rod Orvis made (since 1974?). This rod casts like magic with a 5 weight line even though the rod was rated for a 6 weight. My Tippet is one delicate mother, yet still will deliver a weighted bead head with ease. I still own these rods with the original cosmetics (unsanded blanks) and brushed bright aluminum hardware. After 1986 (?) Orvis started to make the Superfine series with black anodized hardware (and the 25 years warranty). By the way, the current Superfine series with the sanded blanks are horrible!
Take the Sage Light Line series with their translucent burgundy red blank. This is an excellent rod for spring creek like conditions. I bought my Sage 490-4 LL at Craig Mathews' shop Blue Ribbon Flies in 1992. The Sage 586-3 SP with its swelled butt is one handsome rod and fishes equally exceptional. But a light bamboo fly rod (I prefer fishing with graphite for line weights above a 5 weight) has this spirit no graphite rod comes close. It has to be felt to understand but fighting a fish with a bamboo fly rod does feel different. Maybe it's just the set of mind?
Past fall I was cleaning up my fishing gear and getting them ready for their winter storage. While my rods were drying on top of a couple of chairs, I saw how nice they looked. It has been pretty cold the past couple of days, so here are some pictures to warm up. I'll share some pictures of my graphite rods in the future.
Most bamboo rods aren't casting canons nor as light as graphite rods. But they aren't slow (unless made that way) or heavy as many think. In fact some rods (like Brunner) are so fast that I don't think they would make good fishing rods. I've cast some excellent casting bamboo rods. You won't see distance records with bamboo rods, but they have a way to handle a wide range of casting situations. Especially the ability to cast with just a couple of feet of line yet still able to deliver a 15 meter (50 feet) cast is amazing.
The possibility of altering or tuning the taper when building the rod makes bamboo an extremely versatile material. Much more than the way graphite rods are made, the maker can adjust the action of the bamboo rod. And of course, the journey the rod has made from bamboo pole growing in the Guangdong province of China to the workbench of a (master) builder who spent dozens of hours shaping the split bundles of cane to a fine rod is just inspiring.
Don't get me wrong. I really like my graphite rods and I will keep fishing them. Like the buttery smooth casting Orvis Trout, the first production graphite rod Orvis made (since 1974?). This rod casts like magic with a 5 weight line even though the rod was rated for a 6 weight. My Tippet is one delicate mother, yet still will deliver a weighted bead head with ease. I still own these rods with the original cosmetics (unsanded blanks) and brushed bright aluminum hardware. After 1986 (?) Orvis started to make the Superfine series with black anodized hardware (and the 25 years warranty). By the way, the current Superfine series with the sanded blanks are horrible!
Take the Sage Light Line series with their translucent burgundy red blank. This is an excellent rod for spring creek like conditions. I bought my Sage 490-4 LL at Craig Mathews' shop Blue Ribbon Flies in 1992. The Sage 586-3 SP with its swelled butt is one handsome rod and fishes equally exceptional. But a light bamboo fly rod (I prefer fishing with graphite for line weights above a 5 weight) has this spirit no graphite rod comes close. It has to be felt to understand but fighting a fish with a bamboo fly rod does feel different. Maybe it's just the set of mind?Past fall I was cleaning up my fishing gear and getting them ready for their winter storage. While my rods were drying on top of a couple of chairs, I saw how nice they looked. It has been pretty cold the past couple of days, so here are some pictures to warm up. I'll share some pictures of my graphite rods in the future.
No comments:
Post a Comment