19 December 2019

Letters from Charles F. Orvis

Two original letters written by Charles F. Orvis, the founder of Orvis, that was purchased at a Florida Antique Tackle Collectors Show in Fort Myers by a vintage Orvis collector 25 years ago.

The late great historian, AJ Campbell, used these letters on loan from the owner of the letters as primary sources in his book Classic & Antique Fly-Fishing Tackle: A Guide for Collectors & Anglers (page 33).

The first early 1908 letter from Charles Orvis mentions that Charles Murphy was a friend of his, and the first to make bamboo fly rods “for the trade” but that Murphy “crooked his elbow quite too much”. And Charles is still an avid fly fisherman at 76 years of age!

Thank you Mike for sending the pictures of the letters!

"Jan 16, 1908
Mr Harry C Buckley

My Dear Sir

I have yours of the 15th and have the 2 rods  for repairs which we will make.

I send under separate cover my #25 catalogue in which you will find prices for all things and on page 5 those for repairing such ...c

I am very glad the rod pleased you for aside from a"


















"business wisdom of it I like to please those who favor me with their commands for I know the pleasure of handling tackle that is right and although I am getting old (76) yet I have not lost my love for fly fishing in the leas awaiting your pleasure

I am yours truly
Charles F Orvis"
































About 10 days later, Charles writes his second letter to Mr. Buckley

"Jan 27, 1908
Mr Harry C Buckley

Dear Sir

I have your letter and the rods - have examined them.

It will cost you $5.50 to repair and put in order the whole lot. in this will be one new second joint for the rod that has but one second joint this second joint can be repaired - so it will be fairly good if this"


















"is done the bill will be  2.50 less.
Awaiting your instructions

I am yours truly
C.F. Orvis

P.S.
This price includes .85c I paid the Epsom Co on the box.

These rod being to my mind many men long dead that I knew and many pleasant memories - and  so that perhaps  are not so awful pleasant.

I knew Murphy the maker of these rods. He was a good hearted fellow but "crooked his elbow." quite too much.

He was a good mechanic he was the first man that made split bamboos for the trade but made only a few he only made what (up the side) he could make - himself would not have help."


















Interesting to see that the very early Orvis catalogs were real booklets!
C F Orvis Catalog, No 22 1900 (120 years old!). The catalog (over 80 pages!) covers rods, reels, flies, fly books, spinners, accessories, waders, and small amount of camping gear.





























































































































No comments: