hat was your first high end rod? Mine was Orvis. Orvis is one of the oldest fly rod manufacturers in the world. Founded by Charles F. Orvis in 1856, the company grew from a rod manufacturer to a full service mail order company.I bought the Tippet and later the Western Tippet (which I regrettably sold). Orvis was when I started fly fishing the only high end US brand known here. I remember drooling over the Orvis ads in the fishing magazines. I just loved how the Superfine grip on their rods looked.
The Tippet (7.5ft, #3) is still my favorite rod to fish small to medium size streams
Thanks to Zach Mathews for letting me use the picture he shot during his visit to Orvis.
Hi Jay,
ReplyDeleteYou've got a very nice blog... BTW, I love those classic Superfines. My first quality rod was an old Diamondback Carbonite 6'6" 3/4wt. Unsanded graphite blank ala Superfine or Scott G, cigar grip, parabolic action, nicely finished small stream rod I still use occasionally.
Vlad
Thanks Vlad!
ReplyDeleteYeah, the fast-faster-fastest rods theses days have their use but it's always nice to cast & fish these rods.