06 September 2007

Tying bassbugs (II)

YouTube is such a wonderful medium. I found this four part video on tying a Dahlberg Diver by a tier called Ken Bohannon. Someone filmed the tying process of Ken's Dahlberg Diver at the 2007 Texoma Tie In. Probably a fly tying show of some sort.

Although I like to tie my divers slightly different, the basic idea is the same. Ken's explanation is top notch so there is lots to learn for anyone who wants to tie a diver or improve their hair tying process. If anyone has a a question on tying the diver, hair bugs or tying with hair in general, just leave a question in the comments window and I'll get in touch with you.


Enjoy Ken's video on tying the Dahlberg Diver:



Here's part two, three and four.

8 comments:

opax said...

Thanks for the videos Jay. I'll be tying Dahlberg Divers later this year. This videos and your perfect sample fly are great help to me.

Jay said...

Thank you Olli!
Hope to see your creation soon on your blog.

opax said...

Jay, I've made my first Dahlberg Diver. Experiece so far: I think I need to buy some razor blades.

I'll take the fly you sent me as a model to a fly tying evening in my fishing club in May.

How does your way of tying The Dahlberg Diver differs from Ken's?

Thanks,

Olli

Jay said...

Olli,

the way Ken ties his bugs is not very different. It's a method to tie in deer hair and get colored effects.

I like to make my bugs very firm, almost solid looking finish. The way I trim & cut my bugs does have it's look I like. Also the wings, legs etc. depends on which material you like to use.

Show me a picture of your fly on your site.

opax said...

My first few Dahlberg Divers have not qualified to my blog. We'll be tying them tonight at the club.

opax said...

Jay,

Check my blog. There were 8 guys at the club. Your fly is perfect, I hope we get there some day. Right now my biggest problem is portions of deer hair.

Jay said...

Olli, your first attempts are looking okay.
Try to get the hair evenly spun on the hook. The easiest way to do this is to keep every clumps of hair the same length.

Also try using very contrasting colors. Besides looking nice, they also help you to keep the colors more sharply separated.

opax said...

Thank you Jay.