05 May 2006

Polarized sunglasses for low light conditions

During low light conditions like falling dusk, the regular sunglasses are generally too dark. I've never tried photochromatic sunglasses (this feature only works with glass lenses I'm told), but as soon as evening approaches I have to take off my sunglasses to see where my fly is. Obviously this isn't recommended since sunglasses are also a protection for your eyes.

Couple of months ago I was browsing in one of those car accessory shops (for our Dutch vistors: Halfords). There was a shelve with sunglasses and the bright yellow ones caught my attention. Surprisingly these were polarized as well! These 'driving glasses' are supposed to give drivers a better view on the road by taking care of glare as well as giving additional contrast during low light situations. Well, whadayaknow?...

Today I bought one of those yellow polarized sunglasses. They are pretty cheap (about 15 euros / approx. 20 dollars). The quality of the frame is barely adequate. I had to rebend one of the legs since it was off position. But again I will use them only during a couple of hours at the end of the day. These yellow glasses REALLY does add a lot of contrast! Wearing them during sunny conditions will surely give you a banging head ache. But for low light conditions, they probably work great. Keep posted for feed back on this!


*** Update 10 June 2006 ***
I bought sunglasses which are both photochromatic AND made of lightweight polycarbonate glasses. I'll report on these after my trip to the Czech Republic late July.

No comments: