I met Jan Siman during the Fly Fair of 1992(?). I was tying at the show and Jan came to my stand and gave me a bunch of dubbing brushes to try. He said he made them himself. Ever since my number one nymph, the bead head caddis pupa, is made out of this material.
Dubbing brushes can be made at home using a simple dubbing whirl or the neat dubbing brush spinning block. Several years ago I met this elderly German who made a similar machine himself. I bought one of his few machines. I haven't used it since these ready to use dubbing brushes are so easy to come by. Or maybe I'm just plain lazy to try it out.
On the YouTube site I ran into this instructional video of Jan Siman's dubbing brush spinning block. This video does a much better job explaning than the (badly) written one.
Dubbing brushes are great way to speed up tying process. And if you make your own, you can make virtually anything.
ReplyDelete